> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Pickeling
Login | Register

Posted by Chip on August 28th, 2000 08:46 PM
In reply to pickeled wood by john on August 28th, 2000 08:04 AM [Go to top of thread]

I do this all the time, only we call it milk washing. It is the going thing in most of the new homes around here. You can get the pickeling at paint stores but this is how I do it.

This is for bare wood.
I mix about half oil based white paint and half paint thinner(mineral spirits), test on a piece of scrap to see if it is what you like. Lightly dip a good oil brush in the mixture and tap on the sides of can to remove excess, you don't need a lot in the brush. Start on the inside of the cabinets to practice, and brush on be sure to lightly cover all the wood and smooth "to the grain" of the wood leaving no runs or missed spots (holidays). If you get too much milkwash in the brush, remove with a rag. You need to work pretty fast as to not leave lap marks(overlap marks) then let dry overnight, if you need to stop be sure it is at a stopping point and not in the middle of something (finish the whole door or cabinet). After it is dry apply a sanding sealer, let dry, sand lightly with 220 grit being careful not to "burn" the edges. Putty to match. Blow or tack off dust and apply 2 coats of finish. You can also sand between the finish coats, tacking off dust.

Another method we call white washing is to stain and apply the sealer, sand then apply the mixture, only this time wiping it back off with rags, let dry. Putty to match, apply 2 coats of finish. If your cabinets have already been finished then this may be what you want, just be sure to lightly sand them before applying the milk wash.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC