> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Personal Preference ...
Login | Register

Personal Preference ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on May 31st, 2001 08:42 PM
In reply to Laminate vs. Hardwood by Nicole on May 31st, 2001 03:27 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Nicole,

Personally (and I speak for myself), dogs and/or kids and/or whatever, assuming the floor is above a basement that doesn't have any moisture problems, I prefer 3/4" hardwood.

Why? It has a SOLID sound and adds decent value to the home. It's pretty easy to replace bad/damaged boards, and can be refinished fairly easily.

Laminates come in a few 'shapes'. THere are plastic laminates (i.e., Pergo), Engineered Laminates which can be solid or soft wood underneath. Pergo is glued; the latter are glued or stapled. Pergo and Engineered in many cases can be installed by a DIY (but there are cases where I don't advise it.) Pergo is basically 'thrown away' after it wears out. Depending on the type of Engineered flooring AND how it was installed, you may not be able to refinish it. For plastic and wood laminates, you'll have a 'hollow' sound on it when you walk on it ESPECIALLY if there is a room below. A solid hardwood floor isn't very hollow sounding.

Sooooo, it really depends on your taste, what you have under the carpet, and how you want to 'manage/maintain' the floor. Pergo may be the least 'disruptive' type of flooring because, again, you basically throw it away when it wears out. As for the others, if you're refinishing it a bunch of years later, you're talking dust and noise. DON'T be discouraged. No wood/laminate/plastic flooring is a 'best floor'. There are just variables that affect your choice.

I did say a lot so if you have any specific ?'s, just post back. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC