> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Pergo in a kitchen
Login | Register

Pergo in a kitchen

Posted by Mr. Tracy Rolstad on June 25th, 2000 01:10 PM
In reply to Pergo Flooring by Jason on June 6th, 2000 12:29 PM [Go to top of thread]

7 of 7 people found this post helpful

I have put Pergo in my kitchen and it looks and works great. It is nearly indestructable stuff and cleans very easily. A couple of things to watch out for though:

Water. Water is pretty deadly stuff to a floating laminate florr like Pergo. You need to absolutely seal any and all edges that may be exposed to any kind of water infiltration with a high quality silicone caulk (RTV, etc.) Since these areas will be hidden (under molding, stove, dishwasher, etc) I would recommend that you use enough caulk so as to form a concave fillet that would direct any water to the surface of the floor. Additionally, if you end up going with the glued floor option (might give better sealing than Aloc variant) you might consider top filling the glue lines with the appropriate Pergo color matched caulk. Did this in my kitchen and it makes the joints nearly invisible.

Last but not least you need to begin some modest level of inspection of your dishwasher, sink, ec for leakage. I suppose this is a good idea regardless of floor type. This normal entails just a quick look under the sink when running/draining water and a quick eyeball at the base of the D/W when it is running. Better to catch leaks early.

Additionally, I would only use the Pergo Whisperwalk Floor underlayment, not the foam. I now the Whisperwalk is spendy but it works really well.

Bottomline, Pergo or any laminate works well in the kitchen (but not a bathroom) if adequate precautions are taken. Follow the manufacters recommendation and you will be happy with the results (20 plus years of excellent flooring)

Hope this helps in your decision.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC