> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Pellet Stoves
Login | Register

Pellet Stoves

Posted by Tim in VA on September 19th, 2000 12:13 PM
In reply to pellet stoves by ALBERT CATER on September 19th, 2000 05:58 AM [Go to top of thread]

I used a pellet stove last winter for the first time. My unit is a stand-alone Whitfield Advantage Plus. We love it and will continue using it in the future. Here are some "first season lessons" we learned that may help if you choose a pellet stove.

1. Even though the technology and many local codes allow for running the exhaust directly out of the wall and terminating, spend the extra $ on pipe and run it up above your eaves, beats scrubbing the side of the house.

2. I agree with Jay J that you will need to add moisture, and how you do this will depend partly on where you draw your fresh air from: inside or outside. Air drawn from inside will be more efficient to heat, but if you crack a window you'll get some very annoying cold drafts.

3. Oak pellets burn cleaner than pellets from mixed or soft wood. A lot less residue to clean in the stove. Cleaning regularly is very important. Buildup of any kind will compromise your heating efficiency.

We got a great price on our stove(1/3 off- $1600), it was "last year's" model, summer, and the new models were coming out. It will still be a lot more that 2 years before we re-coup our investment. Probably more like 6 years, depending on future electricity cost. 3 tons of pellets will take us through the winter @ $140 -$160 a ton. We currently have a Trane heat pump and went with a pellet stove primarily for the "atmosphere" of a fire, and toasty warm air you just don't get from a heat pump.

Hope this helps

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC