> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Pay $ for a Structural Engineer. (Save $$$)
Login | Register

Pay $ for a Structural Engineer. (Save $$$)

Posted by Jim -ATS on May 15th, 2000 11:29 AM
In reply to Footings by Don on May 14th, 2000 08:39 AM [Go to top of thread]

You are asking engineering questions for which I cannot answer without knowing how large the structure is, and not being able to do any load tracing. I can't test your soil, and you can't draw me a diagram of your building layout. (words don't really do it here either).

You need to hire a structural engineer to tell you what you need to do. He should have experience with OLD buildings, and should have certification in soils engineering as well.

most footing settling problems in older structures come from water penetration at the foundation, unless you live in texas, where the problem comes from a lack of water.

This is not the kind of thing you should do without knowing what you're doing. Painting your bricks is a stupid mistake, but it doesn't constitute a safety issue, nor does it have the potential to destroy everything you own or hold dear. Foundations are entirely different. EVERYTHING sits on the foundation. Do it right.

Be Safe!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC