> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > paw - washing station
Login | Register

paw - washing station

Posted by Nancy in MI on March 24th, 2003 09:21 PM
In reply to Primer? by Phil V on April 12th, 1999 09:28 AM [Go to top of thread]

I am expanding the kitchen into an adjoining lower room where the back door is located. I'll have a 4 ft by 10.5 ft space under the windows that will be left over after the kitchen grows. My idea is to have a built-in bench intalled under the windows. This will end next to a stair platform that (underneath) connects to the basement. My idea is to run water pipes under the stairs, into the base of the benches, and end in a paw-washing station by the back door. My problem is plumbing the small shower base I plan to use for the station. It is uphill from here to the waste water pipes. I was thinking to go through the wall with a PVC pipe from the drain, ending with the waste water from the station dripping down into a dry well burried next to the house. Of course, I would only have holes in the plastic drum on the side facing away from the house. This room sits on a concrete slab, it used to be a porch. Someone suggested that the pipe end in a removable screw cap for a clean-out. The water and dirt would flow through a series of holes drilled into the lower side of the PVC pipe, into the dry well. That will keep the critters out. Am I completely crazy? I have three dogs, little grass, and lots of mud. Should I even bother to ask the building inspector to okay this, or should I just do it on the sly and install a cat door in the (enlarged) hole when we someday sell? BTW, I do plan to put electric radiant heat under the new ceramic floor, and can run it under the benches, too, to keep the pipes from freezing in winter.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC