> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Paper tape on ceilings
Login | Register

Paper tape on ceilings

Posted by Eric on November 23rd, 2002 10:08 AM
In reply to Taping question by Mike on November 22nd, 2002 06:55 PM [Go to top of thread]

I hung drywall as a teenager, and we used to always use paper tape on the ceiling (don't know why really, but that's just the way we did it). However, on walls we would often use mesh. SO, I would stick with paper on the ceiling. You can go ahead and apply the first coat of mud over the tape while the underlying coat (beneath the tape) is still wet. You don't want a heavy coat of mud beneath the tape, just enough to get the tape to stay in place as you apply your first overcoat. As far as the pressure you have to apply, you will only learn that by experience. Your peeling problem is absolutely due to not enough coats of mud being intially applied over the tape. I would do 4 coats of mud, allowing at least 12-24 hours drying time between each application, and lightly sanding between each coat to remove the "cat walks", or ripples that you will see in the dried coats. On your final sanding you won't that joint and the dried mud to be smooth as a baby's bottom so the joint doesn't show when you paint. Good luck!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC