> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Paneling basement
Login | Register

Paneling basement

Posted by Jim Bosley on August 20th, 2001 09:27 PM

I would like opinions/assessments/suggestions about my plans to finish my basement. Thanks!

I am going to finish part of my basement, and have two objectives: 1) I have my office in the basement, and want some insulation so that it is warmer in the winter, and 2) Aesthetics.

I have a poured concrete foundation which has a walkout in the back and a floating slab floor (the floor is not connected to the wall - there is about a 1.5 inch gap).

I am planning on putting a Visqueen (plastic sheet) layer directly against the wall to keep any minor water leaks through the wall (bear with me here). Then I plan to either furr the wall and put styrofoam in between the furring strips with paneling over the top, or I will put up the plastic frame in the walls with 2x3's leaving an inch space between the wall and the frame, and then use fiberglass insulation with the paper facing, with the paneling over that.

I would like to avoid the expense/hassle of installing gypsum board first.

Any recommendations or comments on this plan? Any recommendations for real wood (at least a real wood veneer) panelling?

The accidental contractor

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC