> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Paneling
Login | Register

Posted by JackD on January 16th, 2001 10:52 PM
In reply to Options ... by Jay J -Moderator on January 16th, 2001 08:09 AM [Go to top of thread]

Jay is right again. Painting paneling is not just a matter of applying the paint. Paneling needs to be sanded, cleaned, primed and then painted. Otherwise, you can scrape it off with your fingernail. And it still looks like paneling, only now it's painted. Removal of the paneling and texturing gives a nice professional, finished look when it's finished. It looks like it was planned and not an afterthought. I hesitate to add this because you didn't ask for any other suggestions but there is another alternative. Places like Lowe's and Home Depot have a thick wall paper that is textured in various patterns and is easy to install. Water soaking only. If the pattern is lined up when you install it(it waste a little to do it this way) the seams disappear when it's painted. It's not expensive and would eliminate the destruct and reconstruction and the mess that removing the paneling would involve. It all boils down to how much time and money and what kind of finished product you're after. I can't see it from my house. Hope you didn't mind the suggestion and I hope this has helped.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC