> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > painting your chair
Login | Register

painting your chair

Posted by Kathy on November 4th, 2000 07:17 AM
In reply to Painting by Vickie on November 2nd, 2000 03:52 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Vicki, Steve's suggestions are good ones and you won't go wrong if you follow each step as he stated. Due to the old stain seeping into the wood, sometimes it's difficult to remove all of it to get an even appearance. There are 'wood bleaches' available to correct this problem, however I have not tried them personally. Painting is a great alternative, and can really transform your chair. You definately want to start with a good primer, and Zinsser "Bulls Eye" is excellent. It's tough and durable, and you can use either latex or oil-based paint over it. Using oil-based paint will definately get you a tougher, more durable surface (so a final sealer will not be necessary). One paint I like for smaller furniture pieces is Rustoleum's "Painter's Touch". It's available as a spray or in a can, and they offer a wide range of colors. I have an old rocker and ladder back chair I painted in this manner 5 years ago and they still look new and fresh. Don't be afraid to have fun with it and experiment with a different color; an added punch of color can really perk up a rooom! If you have a room picked out for your chair, try matching the chair color with one of the secondary accent colors that appear in your furniture or drapes in that room. Toss a small decorative cushion on the seat and you've got a great new accent piece!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC