> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Painting The Floor ...
Login | Register

Painting The Floor ...

Posted by Jay J on July 21st, 2000 02:19 PM
In reply to Painting or Staining Subfloor by Susan Tobin on July 21st, 2000 12:11 PM [Go to top of thread]

When we first bought our home, the previous owners apparently ran out of $$$ when it came to finishing the floor. (They spent it all on beautiful maple cabinets.) Anyways, the 3/4" plywood over 3/4" tongue-and-groove sub-floor was painted. Then, to add 'finished touch', they stenciled the border. It turned out pretty nice. We left it that way for a couple of years.

I will say this. You will 'wear' certain parts of it more than other parts. What this means is that the floor may need to be 'leveled' for a liquid floor-leveling compound. If, for example like us, you were to lay down sheet vinyl, you would have seen the 'waves' in the floor from the high-wear areas in the reflected light. You may want to consider laying down some area rugs (like 2-1/2' x 8' standard length). We didn't do it but the floor had to be slightly leveled before the vinly went down. I don't know if you have to level a floor that's 1/16th - 1/8" out of level since a cement backerboard is used. (It's a very stiff product but I DO know it doesn't take much to crack grout!) On this Forum, there are a LOT of questions about folks having cracked grout due to a 'bouncy' floor.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC