> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Painting plastic laminate cabinets
Login | Register

Painting plastic laminate cabinets

Posted by Melissa on October 26th, 2002 10:23 PM
In reply to painting plastic laminate by Karen on October 21st, 2002 04:03 PM [Go to top of thread]

3 of 4 people found this post helpful

I am in the process of painting my ugly plastic laminate cabinets. I wanted to do it right, so I got a sander and some BIN primer sealer, and using latex semi-gloss paint. I got spray cans of BIN, thinking things would go faster. I took the doors off the cabinets and took off the hardware. Unfortunately, I am not skilled at spraying and the primer went on unevenly; it took lots of sanding and repainting to get that surface to look smooth at the end. . . . After that, impatient, I skipped both the sanding and the primer. I am finding 1) it takes about four coats of white latex to really cover the ugly brown laminate; 2) if there are air bubbles or anything, and I pick at it, the latex paint all comes off in a peel. This does not bode well for the future durability of this paint job. I am now spraying polyurathane over finished surfaces in an effort to make them more durable.

It certainly looks much better; my concern is durability. No doubt I will later regret my skipping of surface preparation.

Any way you slice it, this is very labor intensive.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC