> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Painting paneling
Login | Register

Painting paneling

Posted by BobB on July 12th, 2001 01:55 PM
In reply to panneling old and looks bad what to do HELP! by Jason on July 12th, 2001 11:58 AM [Go to top of thread]

Jason, a couple of years ago I did an almost identical project, and we think it turned out well. To answer your questions: 1) Yes you can get paint to stick to the paneling if you sand away any glossiness, clean it well with mineral spirits, and then prep it with a good quality surface hiding type paint store primer. 2) As for the seams, or simulated board joints in the paneling, what I did was to fill them with drywall joint compound. This only worked because the paneling is fairly thick and rigid. If it flexes very much the joint compound will pop out. If your paneling is rigid like mine, what I did was start with a narrow knife, and fill the joints, after a day sand lightly and cover where it had sunk in with a wider knife. Repeat the process on the third day, and you are ready to prime. We used a heavy texture sand paint and a stucco like finish and you cannot tell where the paneling joints were. The process is labor intensive, but when you have the time, it is a low cost approach.
Good Luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC