> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Painting Paneling
Login | Register

Painting Paneling

Posted by Brad Powell on June 3rd, 1998 11:16 PM
In reply to painting paneling by Tracy Sotelo on June 3rd, 1998 01:50 AM [Go to top of thread]

Regardless of the darkness of the paneling, there are a few preperations that you will have to make before painting the panels. I would first suggest cleaning with TSP (kinda like a clorox) but stronger. This will just get the dirt and the grime off of the paneling
Then I would suggest putting "deglosser" on the paneling. This removes the "shine" from paneled walls. Depending on the results of your "deglossing", you may or may not have to do some sanding. Remember, sanding never does anything but make a paint job better. So
it's an option I would consider. Even if just light sanding. Next, you will need to paint a base coat of "primer" on the paneling. This could be an enamel undercoater or an actual stainblocker like "Klitz" (Open the windows and doors if you use this stuff) Get your local
paint store (where painting contractors go...not wal-mart or K-mart) to recommend a primer. Once primed, you are ready for your first coat. BTW, I assumed that this paneling was stained and sealed and not just painted dark. If the later is the case, just prime and paint
Someone else may have a better way to do this...but this is the way that I have done this in some past DIY remodeling projects.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC