> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Painting over wallpaper
Login | Register

Painting over wallpaper

Posted by CN on August 24th, 2000 04:08 PM
In reply to Ditto, And More ... by Jay J on August 21st, 2000 08:32 AM [Go to top of thread]

I did it in my bathroom. I have a hollywood bath & well....for the lack of a better phrase, really don't like it. Not much you can do with these. But back to the point. I stripped the wallpaper off of one end of the bathroom, then the shower/tub room. They were peeling & looking pretty shabby for the most part. The bathroom on the other end had good wallpaper. No peeling or anything. I understood that you could paint over that, so I did. No problem as far as painting over it. All I did was lightly wash the surface, let it dry,then applied the paint. Oh & ick what an icky color the paint turned out to be! So I got a much lighter shade of paint, got several feather dusters & stippled the lighter shade over the dark one. Now that looks nice.....but....I have wallpaper lines, so it looks like wallpaper! I'm sure I did alot of work for the same effect of wallpaper :-/
THis was done in March, so far it's holding out. BUT if I were to do it again, I would strip of the wallpaper first. Plus I missed the advantage of the nice textured wall underneath.
Now a lightly stained paneling does look nice. Have you considered that?

Good Luck to you - CN

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC