> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Painting old fridge
Login | Register

Painting old fridge

Posted by Zoe on August 27th, 2001 06:50 PM
In reply to I have done this several times... by Steve: on August 7th, 2001 02:05 PM [Go to top of thread]

My fridge is about 30 years old with an automatic ice maker and cold water. But it was avacado green. I cleaned it really good, sanded lightly, then painted it with a base coat of Kilz with a brush. I then used a good appliance enamel which I applied with a brush. It turned out great. That was 3 years ago and it still looks good. I got no brush marks. I did not want to use a spray paint in the house. Do not paint the doorway part where the rubber gasket hits. It interferes with the suction to hold the door shut (actually it is too much suction and will eventually pull your gasket off.
Kilz is a brand name of a paint used to inhibit mold where you have had water leak in your walls or ceiling. But I was told it is an excellent base coat for most paint. You can get water or oil based Kilz. Just ask your paint man which one to use with your fridge paint. I used Kilz on my walls as a base coat before I painted and I used it on the walls before wallpapering. All jobs are still excellent. DO NOT buy an off-brand of Kilz. I tried one and it did not cover as well as Kilz.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC