> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > painting laminates
Login | Register

painting laminates

Posted by Henry in MI on October 10th, 1998 06:06 AM
In reply to Painting Laminate Kitchen Cabinets by Kevin on October 10th, 1998 02:01 AM [Go to top of thread]

3 of 4 people found this post helpful

Kevin, I have seen this done on a TV show but wonder if the TV show is going to come back in 2 or 3 years and show us what it looks like then. The procedure was how I would have done it, but, at the same time, I am not real comfortable with the adhesion factor. Should you want to try it, here's how to go about it.

Take everything out of the cabinets if you are going to paint the face frames. Remove the doors and hardware. Wash everything with TSP. Sand with 100 grit. Tack rag and mask the inside edges of the face frame and across the top of the cabinets and the floor. Apply a good quality, oil based primer like Kilz. Sand lightly with 150 grit being careful not to break thru the primer on the edges. Tack rag. Apply the finish coat and you can use either good quality acrylic latex or an enamel. On the TV show, they did a stencil job and you might wish to consider something like that. Good luck and have fun.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC