> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Painting Countertops
Login | Register

Painting Countertops

Posted by Mr. Paint on May 4th, 2003 03:07 PM
In reply to painting countertops by Carrie on May 2nd, 2003 09:47 AM [Go to top of thread]

Carrie - the price of $10.00/ft is for basic counters I have seen at The Home Depot - nothing fancy - just counters - that also doesn't include any installation etc.

As for paint. Even paint that will work reasonable well - a two component waterbourne epoxy and primer - will set the average home owner back about $70/gallon - Most companies have these in gallon size 1:1 mix - so you are looking at $280 + materials - maybe $325 or so.

Then you have to mix and apply - don't do this right and the products don't work. You will need one coat of primer and minumum two coats of finish - this will take about three days.

After all that - the product doesn't get good and hard for about a week - so you have to be gentle with it until then - and even after that - it will never be as hard as countertop material. You will need to be gentle with it as long as you have it.

No harsh cleaners - abrasives - no cutting on it or hot pans.

I am sorry - but this painting countertops has turned into a real nightmare for me - I have been severely criticized for sharing my dislike of this practice - I know it doesn't work - but people don't seem to want to hear about it.

I am not replying to any more posts about painting countertops in the future.

Best of luck to you - whatever you decide to do with your own counters.

Mr. Paint

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC