> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Painting Concrete Floors
Login | Register

Painting Concrete Floors

Posted by Eric on April 8th, 2003 10:32 PM
In reply to painted concrete floors by Tom on January 23rd, 2003 02:37 PM [Go to top of thread]

3 of 3 people found this post helpful

I live in Levittown Pa. In a typical 'Levittowner' that has been remodeled over the years into a five bed two bath. Upon ripping up the very old carpet I discovered the original black 'Levitt' tile. I removed this to expose the bare concrete slab. Being 50+ years old it has some hair-line cracks and is begining to deteriorate.
My plan is to clean (no etching needed) and paint the surface. First I will prime it with a commercially availible concrete bonding primer which (according to it's claims) will both seal the aging concrete surface and provide a base for the paint. Following this, I plan to first lay down two or three light base coats (beige/tan) of an oil base concrete paint followed by a 'ragged' faux finish of a latex concrete paint in a darker tone. I will follow with an even darker diluted latex 'wash', wiped on to fill the pitted areas. My desire in all this is to create a faux stone finish. If it works, I will polyurethane the result....If it doesn't work I'll beat my head upon the well worked floor and go out and buy laminate flooring!
email me @ if your interested in the results...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC