> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > painting cabinets
Login | Register

painting cabinets

Posted by Henry in MI on January 3rd, 2000 06:08 PM
In reply to Question about Ralph Lauren Paints. Need Advice. by Brenna on January 3rd, 2000 02:36 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, Brenna (nice name, by the way). My friendly local Benj. Moore paint store tells me that they have mixed the same colors with good results but the velvet look paints are a very special paint and they can't match the texture. They think that other paint companies are watching to see the demand and the problems before they offer a similar product.

So other than the velvet, the difference is in the faux techniques used. The denim look seems to be just the right color paint that can be mixed anywhere and a comb faux technique. The faux technique looks to be one that is easy on small panels but I would sure hate to do it on my whole living room.

Brenna, I wrote some long and detailed instructions on painting cabinets that, I am sure, are long gone from the present board. Briefly, you want to take every thing out of the shelves, remove the drawers and cabinet doors and hardware, scuff sand (about 100 grit), prime and paint. Be sure that your cabinets are not a laminate like Formica. Paint will not stick to it for long. You might want to consider painting in a good quality, light colored paint and following that with a stencil job for an easy interesting effect. Craft stores will have the stencilling supplies.

Good luck
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC