> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Painting Asbestos Cement Shingles
Login | Register

Painting Asbestos Cement Shingles

Posted by Jay J on June 3rd, 1998 12:37 PM
In reply to How does one paint asbestos shingles? by Susan McClellan on June 3rd, 1998 10:19 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hopefully, you have asbestos cement shingles.

I believe an acrylic paint is what you want. What I did when it came up to do this job was get vinyl! This doesn't help you but my shingles were a mess when I bought the house. (I used their 'condition' as leverage when we bought the place.) Anyway, from what the rest of my neighbors tell me is that, yes, they cleaned the siding first. Then, they didn't mention anything about priming (though it does make sense but I don't know), but did say they used a 'rubbery' type of paint. It's a pain to put on, it's expensive, and you use an awful lot of it! But from their testamonies, the extra $$$ for good paint was worth it. As with any paint job, the work is in the preparation, and you shouldn't skimp on good (primer &) paint unless you're a masochist! You're doing the right thing by finding out what you should do first (prime or not, acrylic or not, etc., etc.).

I'll be reading what others may say re: your post. If you don't get an answer here, do post up on this WEB site: Ask Dr. Paint. I'm sure you'll get lots of attention there!

Best to ya and at worst, please post a follow-up as to what needs to be done so we all can learn.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC