> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Painting aluminum siding
Login | Register

Painting aluminum siding

Posted by Henry in MI on April 8th, 2001 06:07 PM
In reply to REPAINTING ALUMINIUM SIDING by Matt in Jersey on April 8th, 2001 12:25 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, Matt. It is very possible to paint aluminum siding. I have done mine twice now, just for the color change. Thankfully, all I have to do is gable ends and eaves but it should not make a difference.

One big concern is chalking. If your house is chalking heavily, you may have to pressure wash. No sense painting on a surface that is already coming off. My other tips are real easy. Find a good, local, independent paint store like a Benj. Moore or Sherwin-Williams dealer (or check the board for JayJ's favorite that may be in your and his area but is nowhere else in the world. Don't even think about using Sears paint. It is flaking off my wood and returning a foot long flake for exam, they said that it was my problem. That's twice with Sears. Two strikes on Sears paint and they are out--for me.

Weather is real important. You want it dry and not in hot, direct sun for your and the paints sake. Talk to your dealer about how much and what prep to do. It varies more outside than in. And it also varies with local conditions.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC