> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Painting 101
Login | Register

Painting 101

Posted by Jim -ATS on April 17th, 2000 02:22 PM
In reply to remodeling a mobile home by Barb Arnett on April 16th, 2000 08:50 PM [Go to top of thread]

there are numerous postings about paint on the board. Here are the basics.

1. Painting is 80% Prep Work. Do this wrong and the rest is a waste of paint and time.

2. Brand X Paint at a "big box store" is not the same quality as Brand X paint at the Brand X store. Spend the extra money. Deal with paint professionals who can answer ALL of your questions.

3. Blue tape, Masking paper (it comes on rolls) and the 3M dispenser these fit on are your friend. Invest in one.

4. Drop cloths. (Plastic is a pain to walk around on, buy a couple of actual cloth drops!)

5. The classic move is to step on a paint drip on the drop cloth, then track it all over your carpet. When I paint in my house, I do it in my bare feet so I know when there is wet paint on my feet.

6. Buy a painter's 5-1. search for the number 5 on the main board to find out why.

7. Flat paint hides imperfections in your walls, plaster, etc. However, it is tough to clean. Gloss shows every little scratch, wave and dimple. I prefer satin, which is the least offensive compromise.

8. There is no such thing as a one coat application.

9. A quality paint brush will keep its bristles, and do a much finer job. Pay a little extra. If you clean it really well, you will keep it a long time. Store it wet in the original paper flap, do not stand it on its bristles in a can of water....

10. Brush the corners, then roll the project. The longer the nap, the more paint the roller holds, and the more it sprays. 3/8" nap is a good general purpose depth.

11. Don't try to paint around light switch and outlet cover plates. Take 5 minutes to remove them, and stick a piece of tape over them to protect for the accidental roller.

Milk the guys at the paint store for as much information as you can get. They should be HAPPY to help you. If not, go to a different store.

Have fun!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC