> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Paint Stripping - Again
Login | Register

Paint Stripping - Again

Posted by Jennifer in MN on March 22nd, 2000 11:28 AM
In reply to Paint Strippers by Henry in MI on March 20th, 2000 05:41 PM [Go to top of thread]

I, too, am going through the agony of trying to strip baseboards, doorways and picturerailings in our circa 20s home. The wood appears to be cherry underneath (it is everywhere else in the house, so would make sense) & it would be beautiful to uncover it and stain! But after trying a few bouts of stripping, I am not so sure.

The first 2 layers come off fairly easily with the stripper ("Strypease" or something is the product, I believe) - it is suppose to be a pastey type, but it is runnier than I would like. The last layer may very well be lead and doesn't want to budge. Should I be leaving this stripper on for hours at a time? I am worried about the fumes, as this room is directly opposite our bedroom. Would a heat gun be better? Is there a pastier type of product out there - if a clump of the stripper sat on the wood, then it would eat away the paint. But for the large majority of the wood, where it had run off, not much was impacted.

Since we have plaster, pulling off the baseboards, etc. to go to the "dunking tank" doesn't seem feasible either. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC