> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Paint removal
Login | Register

Paint removal

Posted by Bruce M on October 25th, 1997 07:37 AM
In reply to paint removal by susan on October 24th, 1997 05:56 AM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post:
> Paint Removal by dmasher on 11/08/2004

Hi Susan:
There are several methods I have used to remove favorite being a good heat-concentrating heat gun (such as the Milwaulkee). However, this can be a bit tricky if the molding is still up, as you run the risk of burning the wall and whatever is on the wall, even using the low heat setting. I would rmove the molding, take it outside and do the stripping on sawhorses. Also, make sure to get some good contour scraping tools. Home Depot caries 3 or 4 contour tools, but they are stamped metal and can scratch the wood if you're not careful. Pro paint shops (like Duron) will carry the cast scrapers in tool or high speed steel and in every imaginable contour, but they are a bit pricey.

Another method is using a liquid stripper, usually containing methylene chloride. You will still need contour scraping tools, although course steel wool should get most of the paint off.

Finally, there is a product called, I believe, Strip-eze or Peel-Away. This comes in a roll of a putty like compound stuck onto wax paper. You pull off the protective paper exposing the putty, then squish it onto the painted surface, let set and peel it off. I've only seen it used (not done it myself). It appears to be very effective, but it is expensive. Because of cost, it seems to be used mostly on very detailed surfaces like fireplace mantles and ornate furniture. I would go to a paint pro shop to find it.

Best wishes

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC