> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Paint removal
Login | Register

Paint removal

Posted by Henry in MI on September 27th, 1999 06:35 PM
In reply to stripping paint from built-in cabinet by kyla on September 27th, 1999 02:37 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, Kyla. First, a question. How old is the piece. If it is older than about 1900, the following does not apply. I would use an environmentally safe stripper like Citristrip on both the remaining finish and the hardware. Let the piece sit for a day or so. Then apply the stripper in about a 1/8" thickness with a natural bristle brush. Wait until the paint bubbles, then remove it with a putty knife.

For the hardware, pour some of the stripper in an old metal pan like a small aluminum pie pan. Put your pieces in and cover with the stripper. When the paint bubbles, brush it off with a brass brush (available at home centers--just be sure it has a wood handle). That should take care of it for you.

When working with the stripper, be sure you follow the manufacturers directions. Wear chemical resistant gloves and eye protection. On the wood, you might want to finish by rinsing with Citristrip's Paint Remover Wash or mineral spirits/paint thinner. If the piece is old, and particularly if it came from farm country, let me know and I will send alternate instructions.

Good luck
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC