> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Paint over's another method
Login | Register

Paint over's another method

Posted by Rick on March 15th, 2001 06:05 PM
In reply to plaster and paint over this paper? by Edward on March 8th, 2001 11:41 AM [Go to top of thread]

I purchased a home with wallpaper on most of the walls. Most were the foil or paper type of wallpaper (no vinyl here). In any case the previous owners papered over the bare drywall...what a nightmare! With one room I used "Dif" to remove the paper but the drywall paper was all "hacked up". My brother-in-law gave me a great method for reparing. When the wall is totally dry apply one or two coats of Shellac/Mineral spirits (50/50). when it dries all the paper shreds will be hard and suitable for sanding with a fine grit sandpaper. When sanded wipe the surface clean of dust. Using a wide spackling knife apply 2-3 skim coats of spackling compound. Sand the dried spackle and prime/paint as usual. My walls came out like glass and this method went surprisingly quick. The method that Jeff mentions sounds interesting as well..I think I'll try that in an other area of my house as the paint on the wallpaper is just to thick to remove. BTW, when doing all this most people said to rip the walls down and re-drywall...I'm glad I didn't. Hope this helps.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC