> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > paint metal cabinets
Login | Register

paint metal cabinets

Posted by Phillip on April 26th, 1999 08:24 AM
In reply to Painting Metal Kitchen Cabinets by H K on April 25th, 1999 09:46 PM [Go to top of thread]

7 of 7 people found this post helpful

Can you remove them, If so look in the yellow pages under appliance painting or even try a local paint and body shop? If youíre determined to re-paint in place or at home, youíre in for a slow careful step by step process. If done properly old metal can be refinished to look almost as good as the day it was painted. Antique dealers would argue to leave as is, but I imagine it would enough just to say "We restored these old cabinets from the 50s".
Steps one: Wire with a soft wire brush. Do not scrape. Remove the rust and paint and not the metal.
Step 2: Lightly sand with 200 grit automotive type sandpaper. Use Bondo to fill the places where metal is gone. Use a sanding block being careful in the corners.
Step 3: I know this kinda backwards but next use paint remover (spray on type) let stand until paint can be wiped off with a scrupe pad, rinse with warm water.
Step 4: Resand with a 300 grit sandpaper. Use a vibrating type sander if you would like. A sander will help keep the corners smooth.
Step 5: Smooth completely and feel for any rough spots, Primer with Rust inhibitor primer using light coats. Think light and even! Four coats or more letting dry 24 hours or longer between each coat (no matter what the directions on the can say let dry 24 hours) use a steel wool pad to smooth surfaces between primer coat.
Step 6: Lightly spray final paint using very light coats and again after each is dry use 2000 (yes thatís right 2000, check automotive stores grit sandpaper) I recommend a satin finish this will keep the smooth look but not so glossy. The more gloss the more imperfections you will see. PS You must use a dust free room temp area with very little humidity.
Hope this helps

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC