> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > p.s. appearance and chimney and makeup air details...
Login | Register

p.s. appearance and chimney and makeup air details...

Posted by jb on April 12th, 2002 10:18 AM
In reply to forget old fashioned bricks... by jb on April 12th, 2002 09:57 AM [Go to top of thread]

the steel chimney doesn't show, it can be hidden in a chase that is either inside or outside the house. Inside it is drywall walls, outside it is just sided like the rest of your house. You could actually recess the whole fireplace and chimney into a chase put on the outside of your house that wouldn't HAVE to go all the way to the ground. For this you would need to use an architect that either knew what a "moment" connection was or who could design the structure to not be supported from below by using braces, etc. This kind of chase can be made to look ok from the outside. Note: not a common detail, but if you have an exterior chase then I ALWAYS insulate the outside walls of the chase and not the wall common to the house's heating envelope. This way, the chimney is relatively warm so you don't get a thermal inversion slug of cold air starting a downdraft when you open your flue. Also be sure to have your chimney come out the roof at as high a place as possible. See these essential articles, 3 on this page:
and I would try to not hook up the outside air supply as these have been found to not work. See:
This last bit could be taken as opinion and I don't want to get slammed for it. Fireplace manufacturers still make units with combustion air intakes and they or codes may even still require them. Let's put it this way; the Canadian national building codes used to REQUIRE them and now they don't, based on good research. If Canada doesn't know about fireplaces who does?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• Thanks by Scott Ramsay  4/12/02 11:13 AM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC