> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Outlet problem after renovation
Login | Register

Outlet problem after renovation

Posted by Elizabeth Cooper on August 23rd, 1998 01:04 AM

My boyfriend and I did some renovation work in our apartment and now one of the outlets in the kitchen don't work. When we started, we first turned off the fuses from the fuse box. Then we snipped the wires right at the old oulet (we were only working around one outlet in this particluar circuit), covered each wire with electrical tape, and labelled them carefully (left or right side, bottom or top screw). We then knocked down the plaster on that wall so we could put up gypsum board that would match up in thickness to a new wall going in next to it. The building is about 70 years old. The wires run inside a 1/2" to 3/4" metal tube that definitely protected the wires from any falling debris. After closing in the wall, we put on a brand new outlet and tested it but it didn't work. I believe that this particular outlet is the second box in a circuit that runs in the kitchen and includes about 4 outlets. We tried turning the outlet upside down (white on right/black in left) since we saw one like that existed in the livingroom and maybe we didn't notice this once was like that when we snipped it. That didn't work either. In fact, the fuse box is not letting us turn that particular fuse back on. The switch won't stay up; it keeps "tripping" I think the term is. Any suggestions of why the fuse won't stay up and why our outlet won't work?

E. Cooper

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC