> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Outdoor Lighting ...
Login | Register

Outdoor Lighting ...

Posted by Jay J on August 31st, 1998 08:44 AM
In reply to More info on my problem by Jeff on August 28th, 1998 12:55 AM [Go to top of thread]

... Sounds like outdoor landscape lighting that you're talking about.

The 'thing' about running a series of lights is to 1) be sure this 'run' is on its OWN breaker. 2) And depending on the wattage of all the lights, you need to be careful how much lighting you put on the run. Not that I need to know what the total wattage is, you just need to figure it out first.

The next thing you should do is go and look at a variety of lighting. There's TONS of it out there. If you're doing landscape lighting, low voltage is something to think about. At the same time, if you're going to continue using 110v, I'd stay real low on the wattage. You don't need much in landscape lighting because your eyes do adjust to the dark. I have 11 bulbs, each are 7 watts, and they are PLENTY when you're out on the deck. That's only 77 watts total! Now, if you're NOT talking landscape lighting, in any event, I'd put landscape lighting and 'flood' lighting on SEPARETE runs/breakers. (Just a heads-up.) As far as brands go, I'd take your ideas to a lighting shop and discuss it with them. They have brochures and all. Call ahead and make sure they 'dabble' in your interests. For low voltage, landscape lighting, I used Kichler. Their line is somewhat conservative and I liked the baked enamel finish. I have no plastic. I did the install myself and I soldered the connections!

I'm not going to say any more because you may change your mind or you may have to change your plans. My best to ya.

Jay J

PS: As far as irritating the neighbors, keep the landscape lights 'soft' and the floods out of their windows. Perhaps a different location for the lights will help here.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC