> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Outdoor heat pump compressor noise
Login | Register

Outdoor heat pump compressor noise

Posted by Charlie on January 7th, 2001 10:19 PM

9 of 10 people found this post helpful

There is an outdoor heat pump compressor unit that is about 8 feet outside my bedroom window. This unit is my neighbors. The side yard property setback is 5 feet. I was planning on building a type of sound proofing wall just on my side of the property line in front of this unit. The compressor is about 30" wide. I was going to build this wall out of pressure treated wood to simulate a fence. It was going to be 4 feet wide and 8 feet high. The frame of the wall will be a 2x4 frame filled with fiberglass insulation. I was then going to cover both sides with 1/2" PT plywood. The side facing my house would then be covered with 1x6 PT decking boards. The side facing my neighbors compressor would have the plywood covered with a vinyl sound barrier material that is 1/8" thick. I know that I may not be able to totally eliminate the noise but I would like to greatly reduce it.

I understand that windows can be the biggest noise leak. The window is of the double thermal pane type. I have heard of placing some type of sound proofing foam or plexiglass inside of the window to help with sound transmission.

Any comments on my proposed sound wall or other ways to reduce the sound from this compressor are appreciated.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC