> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > osb/chip board being used for sub flooring
Login | Register

osb/chip board being used for sub flooring

Posted by KAYE on March 3rd, 2003 04:39 PM
In reply to OSB by doug seibert on December 18th, 2002 10:58 AM [Go to top of thread]

I'm looking for some professional answers on the osb/chipboard that contractors are using for sub flooring. I have a customer who had a new home built this last summer (2002). They used the osb/chip board oxboard for the sub floor. Let me clarify that our company was not the flooring experts who laid the wood floor. I recieved a call from a customer who gets her cleaning products from us, stating that she would like our company to come out and take a look at the floor that was put in their home. With her explanation over the phone at first I thought she was talking about a floating floor, further into the conversation it is 3/8" nailed in. (I believe it was an engineered Bruce floor) I went out to take a look at her floor. As you walk across the floor it moves up and down just as a floating floor would if the sub floor was not exactly level. As we kept talking she explained to me that last summer when we had all the rain here in minnesota, she had gone to her new home that was in progress and saw standing water every where. She explained to me that in the kitchen area there was a puddle that was at least 2 inches deep. The following day the came in to lay the wood floor, you can tell by lifting a floor vent that they tried to protect the wood floor from being damaged by the moisture, by laying a heavy guage poly (plastic) down. When I went into the basement that had an unfinished ceiling you could see the water damage that had been done by this floor being wet earlier in the year. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But from all the water that was on the floor, now that the floor has had time to dry, is the osb/chipboard flaking apart and not keeping the floor tight to the sub floor? I realize you are not an attorney but I'm looking for answers as to what really happens when these builders are putting up these homes, using chip board? Thank you, hope to hear from you soon. kaye

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

• Oxboard Sheathing by Mike B.  12/17/02 12:07 AM (: 2, : 1)
  • OSB by doug seibert  12/18/02 10:58 AM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC