renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > OSB
Login | Register

OSB

Posted by doug seibert on December 18th, 2002 10:58 AM
In reply to Oxboard Sheathing by Mike B. on December 17th, 2002 12:07 AM [Go to top of thread]

I don't like OSB.......I've replaced alot of it a few years back........but that was siding and underlay.........lots-o-class-action-suits about the early product.........I haven't used it at all in the hot and humid South......It had problems getting wet after a hurricane took off the shingles leading to roof failure......It takes on too much water......even latex paint will make it swell..........That makes any siding "failure" down the road a major problem.........
gooogle>oriented strand board and jump down a few pages.....interesting reading..........

"Contractors often ask: Can I substitute oriented strand board for plywood sheathing?
OSB is less expensive than plywood
UBC states that their strength is the same
However
When plywood is specified, no substitutions of the less costly OSB should be made without the approval of the structural designer and local building department.
OSB takes in water and expands.
This can cause fasteners to fracture the surface of the sheathing and cause the shear wall to fail prematurely during an earthquake.
Even though the code recognizes OSB as having the same strength as plywood, many engineers do not like it."

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC