> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > original shingles revealed
Login | Register

original shingles revealed

Posted by james rusch on March 26th, 2003 02:40 PM

i've just moved into a shingle style home built in 1891, in central wisconsin. there is a lot of renovation work being currently done: stripping, painting, electrical, plumbing, gas lines, etc. now that it is warm we would like to begin work on the exterior, and i have recently discovered that beneath the outer layer of 8" white aluminum siding is a second layer of thick asphalt siding that was applied in the 1950's. but to my delight, and then to my parents delight (following horror) when they returned for a short trip and discovered that their son had taken it upon himself to remove the siding on the second-storey bay window, that the original wood shingles have been preserved beneath the two other layers.
so my question is this: now that it has been determined that, at least partially, the shingle siding has been preserved, what will need to be done to clean it and repaint it? and how do we determine whether any parts need to be replaced, and then how? and finally, could the asphalt siding be asbestos(?) and if it is what precautions need to be taken?
we need some help convincing the head of the house that this is a good idea.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC