> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Options ...
Login | Register

Options ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on January 16th, 2001 08:09 AM
In reply to Paint paneling? by Gary Maltby on January 16th, 2001 01:25 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Gary,

By the way, your Post may get more 'attention' if it was posted as an 'original post'. As it stands now, it looks like a Follow-up to Krista's Post. To add an Original Post, let the Main BBS Web Page load completely. Then, click the link at the top labeled: POST A NEW MESSAGE. Now, to answer your question ...

There are as many folks out there that would recommend you go ahead and paint your paneling. Then, like me, there are just as many folks that would recommend you don't. (In a moment, I'll give you, directly, the info you want.) Paneling is installed either directly on studs or glued to drywall underneath. If your drywall is attached directly to studs, then it 'gives' a little when bumped. If you were to spackle and paint over this particular installation, it wouldn't take much to 'crack' your new finish. This would lead to patching and maintenance. Now, if your paneling is glued to drywall, you'd have less of a problem I just described. BUT, in EITHER case, I've seen and read mixed results. Yes, it is cheaper to mud and prime and paint your existing paneling. You'd then have to wait and see if the results are what you expected AND if it lasts as long as you'd like.

Now, yes, it's probably MORE expensive to have the paneling removed and have new drywall installed. (If your paneling is GLUED to an underlying drywall, you'd have to remove the drywall too.) The GOOD news is you can save yourself some $$$. First, get a minimum of 3 bids to have the walls demolitioned, new drywall installed, taped and mudded, and primed and painted with at least 2 finish coats. (If you have trim and fixtures that need to be removed and put back, have that priced too.) THEN, after you get each contractor's bid, call them back and ask them how much you'd save if YOU did the demolition work, and YOU did the priming and painting, and YOU removed and replaced the fixtures and trim. This '2nd bid' may be more acceptable by you. Oh, do ask him if he can 'dispose' of the junk too (unless you have a way to do that yourself.) IF you go the latter route, be sure the electrical breakers are OFF (where applicable, and test the lines BEFORE you stick a screwdriver on the wires) before removing and before replacing any electrical items, and, buy yourself some GOOD paint. Look in the YELLOW PAGES under PAINT - RETAIL for a local Paint Retailer. IMO, spending $25 per gallon, give or take, for GOOD paint is well worth the extra $$$. Besides, you won't need much of it. Tell the retailer what you're doing, and be SURE to get the 'right tools' for the job. You'll be VERY pleased with the results.

Here are some references to read. And do peruse these links so you know what you're getting into. How To Paint Paneling and My Favorite WEB Search Engine - Painting Paneling Links.

My best to ya and hope this heps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC