> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Ooops ...
Login | Register

Ooops ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on August 25th, 2001 08:18 PM
In reply to Good Grief !!! by Jay J -Moderator on August 25th, 2001 08:16 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Toni,

Unless your friends are going to give you a WARRANTY for your driveway, steer clear of their advice (if you want to keep them as friends.)

ABSOLUTELY you need a base. In fact, if you can, rough the dirt down to the proper depth where it's ready for gravel (and eventually concrete), and drive on it for a week or so. This will pack the dirt a little for you especially in the 'tire lanes' (if you know what I mean.)

Generally speaking, a concrete driveway is composed of a single gravel bed, 1 pour of at LEAST 4" of concrete, and 1" expansion joints spaced AT LEAST 8' apart.

Here are a couple of useful links. Before you take ANYONE's word (including mine), take some time to educate yourself. Once you've done that, you'll understand why the Pros charge the prices they charge. Pouring Your Own Concrete Driveway - (See the 2nd-to-last question and answer.) It has some good tips. - Poke around here for Instructions. Maybe you can e-mail them for Instruction.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC