> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > One way
Login | Register

One way

Posted by Henry in MI on April 18th, 2000 09:10 PM
In reply to Ceiling in basement by Ed Hinton on April 17th, 2000 08:34 PM [Go to top of thread]

Ed, one way that you can do it is with the "staple up" acoustic tiles. You have to nail up furring strips perpendicular to the direction that your floor joist run and at a spacing that is right for the tiles you buy. You can then staple the tiles to the furring strips and they have a tongue and groove edge system so you only staple on one long edge of each tile. When you hit an area where you are likely to have to remove a tile for some kind of service at a later date, put the tiles up with drywall screws and paint the screw heads white. This only takes 1-1/4" of height.

I have 2 basement rooms with this system and the cable TV people had to take down a couple of tiles to run their wire. That was it for removing any fixed tiles for over 10 years. I got to replace those two tiles some day but there is metal shelving under the hole in the ceiling. There is some stuff on the top shelf and the missing tiles are so camoflaged I keep forgetting about it.

Good luck
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC