> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > One Option ...
Login | Register

One Option ...

Posted by Jay J on June 30th, 1998 09:45 AM
In reply to Sod by David Andre on June 30th, 1998 09:17 AM [Go to top of thread]

I know this sounds obvious but have you checked with the landscaper that laid the sod??? Do you remember the company name on the side of one of their trucks???

Depending on where you live, the type of soil you have, the type of sod you have, and so on, the advice you'd get here could either drown or starve your new sod. This is not what you want. If you can't get ahold of the landscaper, try the builder who more than likely hired the folks that laid your sod. Get initial watering, cutting, and fertilizing instructions when you talk to them. Also find out what type of grass they laid. Here in the Northeast, if you have Kentucky Blue Grass, it's recommended 1/4" of water per day but no one does it unless they've got lots of time to spend on keeping their lawn real nice. (Personally, I don't.) In fact, I don't even water my lawn! I keep the grass 3" high so in case of a prolonged dry stint, the high grass will 'shade' the soil and slow evapo-transpiration. And I try to time my cutting it on the day before we're suppose to get rain. (Sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate.) I fertilize in the Spring and Fall and I need to sprinkle for Grubs. This is how I keep my lawn in decent shape. If you care for your lawn too much (AFTER it's established), you'll become a slave to it. And in my area, if there's a ban on lawn watering (which is fairly common), your grass might die if it's use to getting water evey day. Once it's established, gracefully wein it off the daily watering and let it stress a bit and grow. It will adjust. I guess the bottom line is I hope you have a sod that indigenous to the area in which you live. This grass is already acclimated. If it's not, just work with what you have like it's your child. Eventually it will learn to 'take care of itself'. :)

Best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: if you want to know if your lawn is getting enough water, lay an empty tuna can on the lawn in an area that's being watered. In my case, when I see 1/4" of water, I'm done. If you have a sprinkler system, perhaps the landscaper (or the instructions) can tell you how long the water needs to be on to get the recommended amount of water on it. Again, once the lawn is established, I'd SLOWLY wein it off the daily watering.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

• Sod by David Andre  6/30/98 09:17 AM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC