> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > One Of My Favorites ...
Login | Register

One Of My Favorites ...

Posted by Jay J on March 17th, 2000 01:52 PM
In reply to Need Bruce Hardwood Advice Soon by Pam on March 17th, 2000 01:25 PM [Go to top of thread]

This is one of my favorite topics. For starters, I'm real partial to 3/4" strip flooring. The engineered stuff and the laminate stuff do not stand well w/me. There is a lot to learn about the differences between solid, engineered, and laminate flooring before you just go buying it. I know this isn't really answering your question but you need to at least educate yourself about them (if you haven't already done so.) All 3 types of flooring have their '+'s and '-'s. Let me make short of this since you are considering doing a Family Room.

If you're gonna cover the floor with any type of area carpeting, I'd go with an engineered floor. Since only the perimeter of the room will be exposed, the rest of the room isn't getting much wear-and-tear. If you're not carpeting the room with an area rug or rugs in the high traffic areas, I'd consider a solid floor. In the 1st situation, you won't be too worried about the condition of the floor underneath since, for the most part, it's gonna be covered w/carpeting. In the latter situation, the floor is gonna be fully-exposed and get the maximum wear-and-tear. In this case, if your Family Room is going to be getting a lot of usage, you're gonna need to refinish the floor at some point. With a glue-down type floor, you can't refinish it; you'll have to REPLACE it. And in MY Family Room, which is where we spend about 90% of our waking hours at home, it gets a lot of wear-and-tear. Hence, it's floor is covered with a durable carpeting.

At the same time, our foyer is hardwood and our kitchen is sheet-vinyl. We have 'runners' in the foyer to collect as much 'sand', 'grum', and 'grime' as possible when you enter the house. The foyer doesn't get much use BUT it does get much abuse. Hence, the runners. The kitchen has vinyl because, well, we do spill things (which hardwood doesn't like, in general), and we and the kids do drop things (which is more forgiving with a vinyl floor than with a tile or hardwood floor.) And the rest of the house is carpeted. Believe me, I love 3/4" hardwood flooring but in my house it would get a lot of abuse because I'd want to show it off. IF you end up covering up ANY of your hardwood floor, make sure you use the carpeting that has the skid-resistant backing. The backing has a vinyl/rubbery feel to it, and it's sewn right in the runners and throw-rugs. As for larger areas, you'll have to buy the backing separately because I've yet to find a rug over 5' in length that has the special backing sewn right into it.

I could go on and on. You'll have to do some reading to learn about the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of flooring. Granted, you can install a glued floor yourself but is it BEST for your situation? That can only be answered by doing your homework and assessing your situation. If you need any references on this subject, e-mail me directly. (The bad news is I don't do-the-WEB after 4:30PM EST on Fridays! You'd have to wait until Monday. BUT you can search the WEB yourself for key words like 'hardwood flooring' and 'eased' and 'beveled', etc., etc..)

As for furniture on hardwood, you'll need those floor-protectors for your furniture's feet. OR, buy some of that anti-skid backing I previously mentioned, and cut it to fit your furniture's 'legs'. The eased, or beveled edge, is easier for a mfgr to make. Also, it's a better install on a floor that might be a little uneven. Why??? Because no 2 edges 'meet' at the same height. If the floor is 'higher' or 'lower' between 2 strips, the bevel helps 'hide' this difference.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC