> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > One More Thing ...
Login | Register

One More Thing ...

Posted by Jay J on February 4th, 2000 08:56 AM
In reply to Good Question ... by Jay J on February 4th, 2000 08:46 AM [Go to top of thread]

I packed a cooler full of Coka Cola, Pepsi, and 7-UP, and gave each of the 3 instllers a $15 tip BEFORE the did the job. I asked that they do a real nice job for me, and that they be careful w/the trim. The job took the 2nd crew 2 days to finish and I have to tell ya, 6 years later, you still can't see the seams (where the same carpet color was used), and the corners and such look great!

There was an old man about 60 years old that ran the crew with 2 30 year old helpers. When I went back to the Retailer, he remembered me, and asked what did I do to the 'old man' to get him to talk?! The Retailer said the old man was his best crew and he never talks anything. He said when the old man came into the store a day or so after doing our house, he wouln't shut up about how the folks at Jay J's house TIPPED him and his boys BEFORE the job and even gave them stuff to drink. The retailer said I really made his day AND his crew's day. Apparently, the old man has been laying carpet for 35+ years and NEVER got a tip BEFORE a job. I guess I really made an impact. It's real nice to make someone's day.

So, from then on, I realized that I should tip someone BEFORE the job to insure that a good job is done. If you wait 'till afterwards, you may be disappointed or just luck that the job was a good one. I tip our car mechanic, new appliance movers, new car tire installer, and so on, ALL before they start the work, and I throw in words like, "Can you really check things out?" or "Can you be extra careful moving that 'thing'?" I guess that waiters and waitresses are the only folks that get tipped after the job.

Once again, my best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: Money REALLY talks ...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC