This was an owner builder deal. The actual general was not REALLY a general, in that he was not on the paperwork as a general, but had a seperate contract with my husband to act as his general. I was not involved with any part of that, so I did not findout until we started having problems and I had to call the general to find out that he felt he had no responsibility. I finally threatened to sue him as well as the siding guy if they didn't come in and retrofit the vents according to code.
The general when he was over tried to get me to sign a contract obsolving him of any further responsibility. I didn't bite saying that we already had a contract with him stating that he would build it to code and that if he built it to code he should have no worries.
I called the building inspector as well who said that through them we have no recourse because the paperwork mentions no general.
Anyway, thanks for the help. I will have someone look at the dormer and see if it is FUBAR. Let me know the proper procedures in any event. Because frankly I don't have a clue how to do this stuff.