> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Older Home improvments
Login | Register

Older Home improvments

Posted by Debbie Brown on October 16th, 2002 06:32 AM
In reply to remolding on a small budget by Ellen Rasnake on October 19th, 1999 04:58 PM [Go to top of thread]

My Mother just moved into a nursing home about 1 month ago. Mom deeded me the house and it is about 60 yrs old. It is a small home with only 2 bedrooms, very short hallway, one bathroom, livingroom,a closed in back porch that contains the dryer, chest freezer and a kitchen/dinning room combined.
It is in desperate need of remolding. The carpet is from the 1st century I think,lol, and so is the flooring in the back porch area.The kitchen cabinets are some my Dad made about 50 yrs ago and the counter top looks that old also.
I am on a very tight budget, and I do mean tight. I would love to do the floors first and then the kitchen/dinning room area next. I just don't know what to do with these two rooms. I wish I had a picture to show you so you could see and help me with my problem.
The kitchen is a square shape, along with the dinning room. The cabinets start when you enter the kitchen/dinning room and go to the right all the way down,top and bottom. The sink and more cabinets( bottom cabinets) are going back to the left all the way to the wall. Another left from the cabinets and counter top is the stove, old timey water heater ( square enclosed one), washing machine, and fridg. The dinning room section is pretty much in front of the fridg. There is open area cut out to go into the livingroom and a door next to the fridg that goes into the hall. TThe bathroom is straight in front of the hall door. Right and left are the two bedrooms.

I had thought about moving the washer onto the enclosed porch area and adding a small L-shaped counter starting at the water heater and having the counter top wide enough to put a couple of bar stools. I just don't know if this is the right thing to do or if it would look right.

If you can understand anything I have said and can picture this, ( its hard to picture things at times) and you may have some ideas, please let me know. I can try to get some pictures to you if you need them.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC