> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Old moldings
Login | Register

Old moldings

Posted by Henry in MI on August 24th, 1998 12:15 PM
In reply to moulding removal by Ron on August 24th, 1998 11:09 AM [Go to top of thread]

Ron, I don't see how you can drill out the nails and not mess up the moldings. I know that they make core drills, but that would seem to still leave to big a hole. The way that I would do it is with a replaceable bladed knife, flexible putty knife, thin pry bar, block of wood and prayer. Use the knife to cut any paint seal at the top and bottom of the molding by scoring along the edge, then find a place toward the middle where you can get the putty knife under the molding. Work outward from the start point and just try to develop a wider opening. When you get one, slide the short end of the pry bar under the molding and gently move it away from the wall. When you can, use the block of wood under the pry bar to move the molding further away and keep working from the center toward the ends. The piece will eventually pop off. Do this when you are not pressed for time, etc. You might spend a lot less time (and money) saving the old molding than finding a replacement. Good luck. :o)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• Moulding by Connie Hurlburt  9/18/98 11:12 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC