> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > old home wall insulation
Login | Register

old home wall insulation

Posted by Darren Boulware on December 6th, 1999 11:03 PM
In reply to Insulation of older homes by TOM F. CRAWFORD on October 19th, 1997 11:05 PM [Go to top of thread]

I have just purchased and am in the process of restoring a 19th century home in central Alabama. I have insulated the newly built upstair and the addition we put on the home but I have not yet done the exterior walls or the floors. I too am looking for any suggestions that anyone may have on the subject. The only option that I have been given here is to have fiberglass blown into the walls from the outside after drilling about a hundres holes into the wood siding. This does not sound all that good to me since the company that gave me the quote said that I would be responsible for drilling and fixing all of the holes in the house. I have heard that there are basically three options. 1)The blown in fiberglass 2) Blown in wet or dry cellulose or 3) A type of foam that is blown into the walls. None of the above options have proven to be very cost effective. I would appriciate any additional information on the subject.

Darren Boulware
Equality, Alabama

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC