> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Old brick and mortar foundation
Login | Register

Old brick and mortar foundation

Posted by Bruce M on January 31st, 1998 10:35 PM
In reply to Brick Foundation by Dennis on January 31st, 1998 09:30 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Dennis:
No, unfortunately, there isn't a quick solution.

I'm sure there are others out there who have had more experience at this than I, but I have been involved with one complete foundation replacement on a large house with a stone foundation that was crumbling. In this case, a house moving company came in, supported the house with I-Beams and house jacks on temporary large poured footings. Then the old rock foundation and footings were knocked out, new footings dug and poured and then new foundation wall formed and poured. Don't know if your's is to this point, but one way to tell is to check to see if any of the sills have dropped due to failure of the old brick mortar under compression. It may be time to get a couple of good local foundation contractors in to take a look. Once the house starts to settle, especially if it is a masonry structure, it will be very hard to lift it back up.

Wish there was an easier way, and perhaps someone here might come up with another idea.

Best wishes

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC