> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > OK then Matt
Login | Register

OK then Matt

Posted by Scott on February 16th, 2002 10:29 AM
In reply to steel stud framing around steel doors by Matt on February 15th, 2002 02:29 PM [Go to top of thread]

I have installed two types.One has clips attached to the backside of the jamb.These get screwed to the studs as you plumb the jamb.The other type has two large screws located on each side of the jamb,on the inside,up near the head.These are for adjusting for plumb.They tighten up against the crip studs and keep the jamb from moving back and forth.The bottom of the door has a spreader tackwelded in place and gets removed after drywall.Measure the width of the jamb,from the inside,where the framing will be, plus the clips if you have them,add one inch.This is your rough opening.These jambs get installed BEFORE drywall so you need to use some pieces of drywall as spacers on both sides of the jamb to center it properly.The drywall fits behind the jamb and keeps the whole unit quite solid.On each side of the jamb at the bottom you should have a screw hole,after drywall and before you remove the spreader,install a drywall screw in each hole.Don't forget this step.Your door may be different from the two I decribed,but the framing is pretty much the same.Basically the drywall holds the buck inplace with just a few adjusting screws to hold it plumb and square.Make sure you use the right size drywall for the width of your jamb.The drywall should fit tight behind the jamb. Hope this helps.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC