> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > OK,here we go
Login | Register

OK,here we go

Posted by Ron J. on May 27th, 2002 07:38 AM
In reply to Remove flooring & fix leaking toilet by Tiffany on May 22nd, 2002 02:28 PM [Go to top of thread]

First remove toilet and supply line from the floor. WAIT, shut the water off first then flush the toilet. Take a sponge and get the rest of the water out of the tank. Take the tank off by removing the screws. Throw the screws and the rubber thats on the bottom of the tank away because you will replace these. Actually,save them to match at the hardware store.Turn the main water supply off and remove the shut-off. Replace this now with a new one with a compression fitting on it so you don't have to solder.When you get this on,turn the water back on so you can have water in the rest of the house. Remove the carpet and see what the floor looks like and how much you have to replaceRemember , you have to replace from floor joist to floor joist. I always tell people to cut along the inside of the joist and nail a 2x4 on it to put the new floor on. It's easier that cutting down the middle of the joist. You will have to get the old flange out. If you don't know how to do this, I suggest you find some one else to remove this. You can put the new one on yourself. Replace the portion of floor you took out. Now, decide if the floor is smooth enough to lay tile. If not,install 1/4' underlayment, I would do this anyway. Do not install the flange untill you find out the finished floor height. In stall underlayment first,then shim flange up to be even with finished floor height,if nesessary. When you set the toilet,use all new parts and do not let your friend help you. Let me know if you need any thing alse. Ron J.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC