> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > OK, ...
Login | Register

OK, ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on June 26th, 2001 10:50 AM
In reply to changing door swing by D on June 26th, 2001 09:09 AM [Go to top of thread]

I may have sounded a bit harsh so I apologize for that. But I can't see it from here, and I reiterate, that if you're asking for explicit instructions (when you can see how the door is currently hung), you may be over your head. Really, you could end up drilling too many or too few holes. Great - You bought the door at a super price. Now, you can't use it as it was 'originally designed'.

I can't even tell if the door can be rehung to swing the opposite direction. I can't see the trim on the door OR on the jam. I will tell you that it takes some skill to do this (as I previously explained why in my 1st follow-up.)

Wait to see if anyone else will take a stab at writing up instructions. If you still get no response, pay a vist to whoever told you "... it's a relatively simple process involving only using the existing door frame and changing the hinges." Bring your tape recorder, and then type them up for use by the next Poster on the Forum that needs the same information. THEN you'll see how much typing is involved.

Again, I'm sorry but I think this job is best left to a Pro (or someone who knows how to do it.) If it makes any difference, I hired a Pro to hang our full-oval, solid oak, double entry doors. And they were pre-hung. It sounds simple enough, even for me, but my wife insisted we hire a Pro because, if I messed it up, I'd be out on the street! They just cost too much for her to 'trust me'. That job cost us $750, but not my marriage. Besides, I learned a thing or 2.

Idonno, I hope you get the info you need. Still, my best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: Maybe 'I' didn't give you instructions but I did take the time to find a couple of WEB links about hanging pre-hung doors that you can read to see if they're useful in your project. Pre-hung Doors I and Pre-hung Doors II

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC