> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Odors from underneath my house
Login | Register

Odors from underneath my house

Posted by Tim on January 1st, 2003 08:13 PM

I'm not sure the odors are sewage/septic tank related, but they sure do smell bad. We have only recently begun to have these odors after getting a great deal of rain this month. We are sitting on a low lying acre of land and when it rains alot, we get standing water at the end of the house where the septic tank is located. WE also get a bit under the house after a good rain, but it does dry up. We've only been here since Feb. and have not noticed any odors in the Spring or Summer when we also got a great deal of rain here and there. I'm assuming that since the ground is so saturated now, and that due to the time of year, that the ground is not allowing a proper "drying out" period, that somehow the excess rain water is doing something to our septic/drainage system and causing odors to back up into the house. I don't know how else to explain it. A couple of days after the last of the rain, you would never know there was an odor. You can smell it in the ac/heat vents and can also smell it coming up through the vent/fan in the stove (Jenn-Air stove that vents through the floor as opposed to above the range). I've invested a small fortune in Yankee Candles to help stave off the smell, but would like to get an idea on just what is going on here. Thanks.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC